It's surprising for me to say this, but I'm really enjoying exercising. I'm doing the Bootcamp4Moms online workouts (http://www.bootcamp4moms.com/). They post a new 20 minute INTENSE workout Monday-Friday every single week. So none of that doing the same video over and over. There is an actual Bootcamp4Moms 'live' camp here in Rosenort, but I'm not quite ready to take Jadyn for those because she can be pretty up and down (one day I'm sure I'd get the entire workout and another day I'd probably have to be chasing her down...well, at least re-directing her direction because she seems to find all the things she shouldn't!). I'm thinking in fall I might try. But for now the online workouts are AWESOME...affordable (costs $20 a month), fresh each day, SUPER encouraging, short (I can find 20 minutes a day), SO suited for moms, and intense (even comparable to P90X which Mike and I did shortly after we were married). Besides that, Jadyn & I go for at least one walk a day...and then there is the 'chasing' after her. So this is more than I've done in a long time!
And as for food, we're just trying to eat more whole foods and I'm trying to learn to 'portion control'. Which brings me to the title of my post! Today, being a cooler day than the past week, I was REALLY craving a creamy soup. But I didn't want to do anything canned with all the added salt content and such, so I tried out this Broccoli Cheese soup which is a pretty good compromise health-wise but NO compromise for taste. It was SOOOOOOOOO good!!! Here's the recipe:
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
1 package broccoli florets (I used two fresh 'heads' of broccoli chopped up
2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (I used light marble, the recipe suggested velveeta)
-Heat a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes.
-Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
-Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
This recipe made enough for two meals for Mike & I. This will definitely be made again soon!
On a separate note...on one of the more HOT HOT days last week I decided to make Jadyn a breast-milk-sicle (to help her cool down and mostly to help her gums which are bothering her like crazy). She wasn't quite sure about eating it...but she played with it a lot!
1 comment:
I can't believe I didn't think of making a breast-milk-sicle for Levi! Not sure he would get the hang of eating it either, but he's been teething like crazy lately too...thanks for the idea!
Way to go on getting healthy. We've been walking like crazy this summer and I've been trying to use less processed food since moving back to Canada last year. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment